Difference between FAT & NTFS File Systems
FAT File system
- It provides no security if the user logs in locally. The file and folder level security permission does not exist.
- It supports only 8 characters long file name.
- It is suitable for a partition disks that is less than 500 MB.
- Partition and file size can be up to 4 GB.
- It supports no file compression.
- Disk can get fragmented thus slowing down the access.
- It is not very reliable since it does not support bad cluster mapping.
NTFS File system
- It provides security for both local and remote users. The security is provided to the level of files and folders.
- It supports 255 characters long file name.
- It is suitable for partition that is greater than 500 MB.
- Partition size can be up to 16 Exabyte.
- It supports file compression.
- It provides lesser possibility of fragmentation.
- It is highly reliable since it supports bad cluster mapping and transaction logging.