Consumers have been using storage boxes to organize nearly every part of their lives: In homes, on the farm, at warehouses, and even for travel. Over the years, many users have bought numerous brands and styles of storage containers for different applications. Some have served faithfully for decades in storage sheds, while some were only good for a year before cracking.
The best long outdoor planter boxes can lead to smarter living in your home. With a functional aesthetic, storage bins can declutter and organize. To find the ideal long outdoor planter boxes available, we conducted hours of research and evaluated product models on durability, size, type of plastic, closures, and price.
Top 10 Bestlong outdoor planter boxes : Editor’s Choice
List of 10 Best long outdoor planter boxes: Selected and Tested by Experts
1. Wooden 31 Inch Long Box Planter, Outdoor Patios, Decks, Gardens – Large 31 x 10 x 9 Inch
Additional Info :
2. Patiomore 8 Feet Outdoor Wooden Garden Bed Planter Box Kit for Vegetables Fruits Herb Grow Yard Gardening, Natural
- Partition Design for Classification Planting – This garden box is divided into two growing areas by the middle crossbar for different vegetables, flowers, fruits or plants. Also, it can be removed easily if need more space to grow.
- 100% Natural Solid Fir Wood Garden Box – Use completely natural fir to this garden bed, no chemical additives added, which is very environmentally friendly and harmless to human body.
- Stable and Durable – This solid fir wood ensures the durability and solidness of the planter box, which is stable and durable enough to strongly support the weight from the planter raised garden bed itself, soil and plant, ideal for all years’ use.
- Beautiful Look and Practical Use – This outdoor planter boxes can be placed not only at patios, porches, decks, or garden. It features nice looking and practical function. Not only can it serve as a decorative work but also fully plays its practical role.
- Easy Assembly – Hardware and assembly manual are included. Specific assembly steps are clearly shown. If any questions kindly contact us to help you immediately!
Additional Info :
3. Mayne Fairfield 5824W Window Box Planter, 5-Foot, White
- Accent your home with our New England design window boxes. Our molded plastic planters are made from 100% high-grade polyethylene
- This window box features a double wall design creating a water reservoir. Includes 5 wall mount brackets with a black powder coated finish
- Outside Dimensions: 60″L x 11″W x 10.8″H. Inside Dimensions: 44″L x 7.5″W x 8″D
- Water reservoir capacity is approximately 4.7 gallons (17.8 Liters)
- The weather-proof and ultra-tough construction allows you to enjoy your window box all year long with very little winter preparation. The UV inhibitors within the resin allows for a long lasting fade-free performance.
- 15 Year Warranty – Residential Application, 5 Year Warranty – Commercial Application. Made in the USA.
Additional Info :
4. Veradek Metallic Series Indoor/Outdoor Long Box Planter
- GARDEN DECOR: Decorate your space with the Metallic Long Planter; Whether you use it as a patio, deck or for the front entrance, this rectangular planter box is the perfect fit with its sharp and modern appeal
- METAL PLANT BOX: This low planter pot is made from a fully seam welded, thick gauge powder coated galvanized steel with a furniture quality finish which makes it scratch resistant
- DIMENSIONS: These modern pots measure 13 Inches in height, 11 Inches in width and 25 Inches in length
- OPTIONAL DRAINAGE HOLE: This plant container has an optional drainage to drive out excess water
- WEATHER RESISTANT: This crack resistant planter pot—equipped with styrofoam insulation—is designed to withstand any kind of weather and to help ensure that the plants stay insulated in winters and do not dry during the summers
Additional Info :
5. LA JOLIE MUSE 21.7 Inch Long Window Planter Box Outdoor, Rectangular Plastic Planter for Indoor and Outdoor, Minimalist Chic Succulent Planter, Rock Gray, Set of 2, 21.7 x 6 x 5.8 inch
- MODERN MINIMALIST – Embracing the “less is more” concept of minimalism, this planter simply falls into a trapezoid shape and rock gray finish creating a clean, open space for your patio, balcony, garden etc. Size: 21.7’’(Top Length)*6’’(Top Width)*19.3’’(Bottom Length)*3.9’’(Bottom Width)*5.8’’(H)
- STURDY & DURABLE – Made of premium recycled plastic with 0.3’’ thickness, the pot features sound durability with great value.
- WEATHER RESISTANT – Built to withstand intense sun and harsh temperatures, these planters are free from fade, frost and peel damage.
- PRACTICAL PLANTING SOLUTION – Come with a deep box space and raised drain holes, this piece avoids excess rainwater to promote root growth. Ideal for ferns, pansies and succulents – Plants NOT included
- 100% SATISFACTION – 24/7 customer service and full refund & return guaranteed if any problem upon receiving the product
Additional Info :
6. Kante RF0104A-C60611 Lightweight Concrete Modern Long Low Outdoor, Small Planter, 23″ x 12″ x 12″, Slate Gray
- ELEGANT LONG RECTANGLE PLANTER WITH VISIBLE PORES – Create a modern space using these tall wide planters, where the straight lines and solid slate gray finish are a hot trend in modern landscape designs
- IDEAL FOR SUCCULENT AND DELICATE PLANTS – Sizes(L23-in X W12-in X H12-in ), very large capacity and can hold a good amount of plants without looking crowded and great for plants that need room to grow
- HANDMADE CONCRETE PLANTER POTS – Made of concrete and weather-resistant fiberglass that have all the advantages of these materials, such as strength, durability, weather and damage resistance, and long-lasting color, has a drainage hole and a strong UV resistant ability that stays well in wind, rain, hot and cold season
- LARGE & VERSATILE – Large Capacity planter with a unique Commercial and Residential design, Whether holding a ficus tree indoors or on the front steps, porch, deck or Outdoor likes Garden，patio, the Kante planters will add style and blend seamlessly into modern, minimalist and traditional decor
- 100% SATISFACTION – We are committed to providing the best customer service so if unsatisfied, let us know and we’ll provide return full refund or a replacement
Additional Info :
7. Kante RF0104B-C60121 Lightweight Concrete Modern Long Low Outdoor, Large Planter, 31″ x 15″ x 15″, Charcoal
- ELEGANT SQUARE PLANTER WITH VISIBLE PORES: Create a modern space using this tall wide planter, where the straight lines and solid charcoal finish are a hot trend in modern landscape designs
- IDEAL FOR SUCCULENT AND DELICATE PLANTS: The size is very generous and can hold a good amount of plants without looking crowded and great for plants that need room to grow
- : This planter is handmade, crafted of lightweight concrete through an manufacturing process, has a drainage hole and a strong UV resistant ability that stays well in wind, rain, hot and cold season.Planter Volume (Quarts):1743.75
- STRONG AND DURABLE: Made of concrete and weather-resistant fiberglass that have all the advantages of these materials, such as strength, durability, weather and damage resistance, and long-lasting color
- IDEAL SIZE FOR OUTDOOR USE: The planter measures 15″W x 31″L x 15″H and it makes a great addition to any apartment balcony or large backyard patio by standing out with its unique look
Additional Info :
8. Achla Designs C-21C Plated Flower Box, Window Flowerbox Planter, Large, Copper
- CLASSIC WINDOWBOX STYLE- These rectangular flower boxes have a rolled edge, embossed lines and a simple classic style. Drainage holes are provided for direct planting flowers, herbs, and edibles.
- VARIETY OF SIZE AND FINISH OPTIONS- In three sizes, Small (22″L x 6″W x 5″H) Medium (24″L x 9.5″W x 7.5″H) and Large (35.5″L x 11″W x 9.5″D) to fit any window or railing application. Three Patina Finish options- whitewashed Cape Cod White for the coastal garden, stormy Nantucket Blue, classic garden Green, as well as a Copper Plated Finish. Copper Flower Boxes will develop warm natural patina over time that is a perfect complement to green foliage
- MOUNTING OPTIONS-COORDINATING HARDWARE is available for mounting all size boxes. For Large Flower Boxes use Achla Designs Scrolls Bracket (B-32) Wall Mount Bracket (SFB-03) and Clamp-On Bracket (SFB-03)
- ADD CURB APPEAL-Nothing creates a more welcoming façade than colorful and lush plantings! Give your entry, upper windows, porch railings or balcony a lift with a windowbox garden.
- CONTAINER GARDENING- Flower Boxes can go anywhere you want to garden in containers. Mount them on deck or porch handrails, use in stands on patio or deck surfaces. Grow a variety of interesting flowers, sculptural succulents, herbs and leafy salad greens for cutting, compact veggies, even strawberries.
Additional Info :
9. Nuvue Products 26005 Patio 16″ Wide x 44.5″ Long x 11.5″ High-White Garden Planter Box, 16″ x 44.5″ x 11.5″
- Easy to assemble – no tools required!
- Soft sided floor Included to contain soil
- Made of HD vinyl and will not rust or rot
- Easily cleans and will look like new year after year
- Durable and long lasting
Additional Info :
10. BAOYOUNI Rectangular Raised Garden Bed Kit Indoor Outdoor Plastic Planter Grow Box for Fresh Vegetables, Herbs, Flowers & Succulents, Brown, 61.41” x 15.35” x 14.96”
- Multi-purpose & Space Saving: Easy to assemble. Home and garden decoration. The planter box can easily be converted to indoor or outdoor use, perfect for planting in the balcony, terrace, garden, backyard, patios or the corners in your living room.
- Ideal for Planting and Displaying: The storage space is ample enough to plant vegetables, herbs, plants, succulents and flowers.
- Stable and Durable: This plastic garden bed ensures the durability, which is stable and durable enough to strongly support the weight from the garden bed itself and plant.
- Moisture Maintainence: Water barrier & bottom board design, filtering excess water from the soil and store it in the bottom boards.It can kindly keep and maintain moisture for plant inside.
- Stylish and Beautiful Appearance: Great gifts for parents, friends, family, enjoy the joy of pastoral life, for families with children, you can grow vegetables on the balcony, let the children know the nature, understand the biological knowledge of plant growth, and cultivate children’s Hands-on ability, responsibility and love.
Additional Info :
How to choose the best long outdoor planter boxes: Important features to consider
Materials: Polyethylene vs. polypropylene – Low-density polyethylene (stamped on the bottom as LDPE, recycling group number four) is more flexible than stiff, cheap polypropylene (recycling group five), so it won’t crack as easily if you drop a loaded bin on the garage floor. It also won’t become brittle at freezing temperatures the way polypropylene does.
Each material has some advantages. Polypropylene can be made see-through, and it’s much more heat resistant — all the way up to boiling temperatures. LDPE is always tougher, but it gets very soft at temperatures above 110 degrees Fahrenheit and melts in boiling water. Our testers have seen far more polypropylene bins fail in long-term storage, especially in cold climates, but in a baking-hot attic, you’d want to be very careful about how much weight is stacked on an LDPE bin.
Latching lids – A flip-up latch will hold your bin closed even if you over-stuff it, which is handy for things like bulky sweaters and puffy blankets. If you put too much strain on latches, though, they’re prone to pop out of the mounting holes. Those holes also mean an entry point for moisture and insects.
A waterproof seal – If you just need a bin to shed rain, almost any will do: with one exception, the lids we tested to cover the edge of the bin, which means water will roll off without getting inside. A totally sealed lid (like our top pick) will also keep out humidity, though damp items can mildew quickly if you’re not careful about what you put in the bin.
Stackable designs – Nearly any bin can stand on top of another, but some designs are able to neatly mix and match small and large bins while creating a topple-resistant tower.
Single-size lids – If you’re building a collection of storage containers to fully organize your life, it can be handy to have bins with same-size openings. This usually means you can stack and nest different sizes as well as share lids between them. Usually, there will be at least two sizes in a series of containers with a common lid and footprint size, with the difference in volume made up by height.
What to Look for in a Plastic Storage Bin
“Pre-sort items you want to organize into categories for containment,” says Marci McAvoy, professional organizer and founder of Marci McAvoy Home Organization. After pre-sorting, consider the storage bin’s capacity. Measure what you need to store and the space where it will live.
“There’s nothing worse than buying a bunch of bins and getting home and realizing that your space is too narrow for the bin you chose, or maybe you didn’t realize that your shelves couldn’t be adjusted for height,” says McAvoy.
Plastic storage tubs list the capacity in quarts or gallons, and some may also include the weight limit. If you’re shopping online, you can get a sense of what a bin can hold by looking at both product photos and images posted by shoppers, which are often the most helpful.
Material and Design
Rigid plastic materials are less likely to buckle when filled with extremely heavy items. These are sometimes labeled as high-density bins. “A bin like this tends to be more expensive because it is really durable, keeps dust and critters out, and is airtight,” says McAvoy.
If you’re storing bins vertically, look for a stackable style (these usually have recessed lids), since this will help the bins stay stable and maximize your storage space from top to bottom. Note that some storage bins are narrower at the bottom and wider on top, so they can nest when they’re empty. This is a helpful feature, but if you are lining these up on shelves horizontally, you may have wasted space between them.
Lid Closure Type
Storage bin lids can be attached or removable. The attached lids might be on a single set of hinges, or they may split down the middle and interlock. When the lid is integrated into the design, you’re less likely to lose track of it, but McAvoy warns that sometimes these can break, rendering the entire bin unusable.
McAvoy prefers removable lids with side snaps and latches. If you live with small children, you might need to opt for more secure closures. If you love color-coding, consider lids that come in different colors. Others might opt for clear lids so they can easily see the contents.
When is the best time to buy plastic storage bins?
Plastic bins often go on sale in January or February, when retailers try to capitalize on customers’ resolutions to get organized. Containers in colors like red and green maybe even more deeply discounted at this time.
How should you label plastic storage bins?
There are almost as many labeling options as there are plastic containers. If you want flexibility, stick to erasable options such as removable chalkboard or whiteboard labels, and use either chalk paint or dry-erase markers. Label bin clips work well on the handles of open bins, and can also be used with dry-erase markers or Sharpies. Some people opt to simply write directly on clear bins, or buy pre-printed stickers. If you want your label to be permanent, use a marker like a Sharpie or an acrylic paint pen.
How can you hide plastic storage bins in your home?
If you’re looking to hide storage bins in your home, one option is to buy larger, more attractive containers made from materials like wood or rattan, and fit the plastic boxes inside. This works best for items you don’t need frequently. You could also use fabric, washi tape, drawer liner paper, spray paint, and stencils to decorate the exterior of plastic storage bins. If you really don’t want to see them, opt for under-bed storage containers.
Can you recycle plastic storage bins?
Check the number on the container as well as your area’s recycling rules. Many storage containers are made of polypropylene (labeled 5 or PP), and although this can be recycled, not all localities currently do this curbside, but some may accept them at transfer stations. You may be able to recycle polypropylene storage bins through a recycling company like TerraCycle. Try searching “specialty recycling company” and then the name of your town and state. Acrylic can be difficult to recycle, but some specialized facilities may accept it1. Products containing BPA cannot be recycled.2
If you can’t easily recycle your old bins, try posting them on a local swap group such as Buy Nothing or Freecycle, or using them for other home projects, such as building a terrarium or mini greenhouse. If they’re clean and in good condition, you can also donate them.
Last update on Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 1:47:24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API