Consumers have been using storage boxes to organize nearly every part of their lives: In homes, on the farm, at warehouses, and even for travel. Over the years, many users have bought numerous brands and styles of storage containers for different applications. Some have served faithfully for decades in storage sheds, while some were only good for a year before cracking.
The best outdoor sand box can lead to smarter living in your home. With a functional aesthetic, storage bins can declutter and organize. To find the ideal outdoor sand box available, we conducted hours of research and evaluated product models on durability, size, type of plastic, closures, and price.
Top 10 Bestoutdoor sand box : Editor’s Choice
List of 10 Best outdoor sand box: Selected and Tested by Experts
1. KidKraft Outdoor Covered Wooden Sandbox with Bins and Striped Canvas Canopy, Kids’ Outdoor Furniture, Navy & White, Gift for Ages 2-8
- Shady canopy
- 2 plastic sand and water bins
- Large enough for children to play together
- Reinforced wooden panels prevent warping and weathering
- Includes plastic liner that goes underneath the sand
- Made of weather-resistant wood
- To keep outdoor furniture looking its best, cover when not in use and stain or paint as needed
Additional Info :
2. Little Tikes Dirt Diggers Excavator Sandbox for Kids, Including lid and Play Sand Accessories
- COOL CONSTRUCTION THEME – Construction themed sandbox for hours of fun!
- TRUCK RAMP – Lid doubles as a truck ramp.
- SCOOP, DIG & DUMP – Excavator really works to scoop, dig, & dump sand.
- SUPER SAND ACCESSORIES – Includes 6 sand accessories plus an exclusive Dirt Digger (TM) for enough toys to go around.
- HOLDS A TON OF SAND – Holds up to 100 lbs. of sand (not included)
- Ages 3+ years
Additional Info :
3. Octagon Wooden Cedar Sand box w Seat Boards | Eco-Friendly Cover & Ground Liner | 84″ X 78″ x 9″ | 3/4″ Cedar Boards | Easy DIY Assembly | Holds 800+ lbs of Sand | Natural Cedar Beauty Built To Last
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE SANDBOX KIT: The perfect DIY sandbox engineered with our “slot system” for quick and easy assembly. Only tool required is a standard Phillips screwdriver and anyone can do it. No need to be handy or good with tools! Kit includes all panels & hardware, eco-friendly ground liner, eco-friendly top cover, and instructions. Does not include sand.
- REAL CEDAR SANDBOX IS NATURAL & BEAUTIFUL IN BACKYARD: (L) 84″ X 78″ (W) x 9″ (H). 3/4″ thick cedar panels hold up to 800 pounds of sand when assembled. Cedar timbers and green sandbox cover blend into any backyard play setting.
- SMOOTH CEDAR WOOD PANELS & WIDE SEATS ARE COMFORTABLE & BUILT TO LAST YEARS: Naturally resistant cedar wood is perfectly smooth & features our special “eased edges” for maximum smoothness to the touch. Water-based stain is eco-friendly, bringing out and preserving natural cedar color that lasts. Engineered to remain sturdy and durable for a playtime solution that lasts through your child’s younger years.
- FUN FOR AGE 18 MONTHS & OVER: Transform any backyard or outside play area into a space where toddlers and children can socialize, entertain and explore. Large enough for multiple children to play at same time.
- ECO-FRIENDLY TOP COVER & GROUND COVER KEEP OUT WEEDS: Weed-suppressant textile sheet allows for drainage and easy upkeep of your backyard sand box. Durable, eco-friendly polyethylene sandbox cover goes on in seconds to prevent excess moisture and unwanted animals.
Additional Info :
4. Turtle Sandbox with Cover for Kids Outdoor Creative Play , New
- This playful outdoor Turtle Sandbox for kids is designed in the shape of a turtle and adorned with a happy, smiling face. Your child will make sand castles and scoop up piles of dirt for hours while sitting comfortably in this toy.
- The Sandbox comes with a sturdy lid that covers the play area to keep it clean and free of any unwanted debris. Place this activity sandbox in a comfortable spot in your yard, sit back and enjoy watching your little one play. Your child’s imagination is sure to get a wonderful workout in this sandbox.
- This playful outdoor Turtle Sandbox is designed in the shape of a turtle and adorned with a happy, smiling face.
- Your child will make sand castles and scoop up piles of dirt for hours while sitting comfortably in this toy.
- The Turtle Sandbox comes with a sturdy lid that covers the play area to keep it clean and free of any unwanted debris.
- Place this covered sandbox for kids in a comfortable spot in your yard, sit back and enjoy watching your little one play.
- Your child’s imagination is sure to get a wonderful workout playing in this sandbox.
5. Step2 Naturally Playful Sandbox II with Bonus Sand Tools, Tan
- Kids Sandbox Is Designed To Blend In With Traditional Landscapes In Residential Outdoor Living Areas
- “Sunshine” Lid Protects Sand From Weather And Pets In Style
- Holds Up To 200 Lbs. (90.7 Kg) Of Sand, Not Included
- Minimal Adult Assembly Required
Additional Info :
6. Best Choice Products 47x47in Kids Large Wooden Sandbox for Backyard, Outdoor Play w/Cedar Wood, 2 Foldable Bench Seats, Sand Protection, Bottom Liner – Brown
- COMFORTABLE SEATING: Benches on opposite sides of the sandbox help keep moisture out and are made with backrests to keep kids comfortable and prevent falling backward as they play
- SEATS CONVERT TO COVER: Designed with 2 benches that seat up to 4 children or 2 adults and easily fold down into a split cover to keep the sand clear of debris
- CEDAR WOOD: Heat-treated cedar wood helps the sandbox remain sturdy and durable for a playtime solution that lasts through your child’s younger years
- BOTTOMLESS DESIGN W/ LINER: An included liner goes underneath the bottomless box to facilitate drainage, ventilation, and sand depth adjustment; NOTE: Play-grade sand is sold separately
- FUN FOR ANY AGE: Transform any backyard or outside play area into a space where toddlers and children can socialize, entertain, and explore; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 47.25″(L) x 49″(W) x 8.5″(H); Bench Weight Capacity: 200 lbs. (each)
Additional Info :
7. Step2 Naturally Playful Sand Table
- Elevated design is perfect for toddlers
- Lid with elastic tie-downs keeps sand clean and dry
- Includes 2 shovels, 2 claw rakes, and a bucket
- Molded-in roadways on lid provide additional play surface
- Product Dimensions: 16.375”H x 36”W x 26”D
Additional Info :
8. TEMI 4-in-1 Sand Water Table, 32PCS Sandbox Table with Beach Sand Water Toy, Kids Activity Sensory Play Table Summer Outdoor Toys for Toddler Boys Girls
- ?4 IN 1 MULTIPLE WAYS TO PLAY – This sand water activity table (23*23*15 inches) is composed of four separate parts, which can hold water, sand, snow, soil or anything you can think of for multiple sensory exploration. Enjoy water fun and create sand castles!
- ?32PCS BEACH WATER TOYS -This toddler outdoor toys comes with colorful and rich accessories to create more fun, including water windmill, tree water tower, excavator, boat, castle bucket, watering can, shovel, scoop, rake, sieve, crab and crocodile sand molds and small stools.
- ?EASY TO ASSEMBLE & CLEAN – Made of durable high-quality ABS material. This sandbox table toy is easy to assemble that kids can explore and build together with the help of parents. Includes four non-leak drain plugs to prevent water and sand from leaking when playing, and can be easily cleaned and stored after playing.
- ?FULLY ENHANCE SENSORY EXERCISE – This water play table will encourage your child to do more tactile activities: water the windmill to create splashes, build a castle with an excavator, pour water into the water tower to form a waterfall, and use molds to suppress vivid animals, etc. Enhance children’s hand-eye coordination and imagination.
- ?IDEAL GIFT FOR MORE OCCASIONS – The easy-to-move and carry sand-water sensory table allows indoor and outdoor play. Especially suitable for beach, garden, swimming pool, seaside, park yard, playhouse, etc.Hurry up as a gift for parties, birthdays, Halloween, Christmas, etc. to your children over 3 years old.
Additional Info :
|Color||4 in 1 Sand Water Table|
9. Quikrete Sandbox Play Sand – Outdoor Kids Filtered Playsand for Sand Box – Screened, Washed and Dried Tan Color – 50 Pounds
- Cleaned play-grade sand for indoor or outdoor sandboxes or therapeutic play tables
- Pre-washed, dried, and screened sand for soft, consistent, and clean sand; No hidden sharp rocks or sticks
- 50-pound bag to start a new play space or refresh an old one
- Use for landscaping, arts and crafts, terrariums, reptile habitats, or zen gardens; also good for in-bag weight sand or traction for vehicles
- Material: Fine play-quality sand; Color: Tan; Dimensions (L x W x H): 48 x 40 x 34 inches; Weight: 50 pounds
Additional Info :
10. GUTINNEEN Kids Wooden Outdoor Sandbox w/ Canopy, 2 Foldable Bench Seats, Retractable Roof Sand Protection Liner 47×47-Inch, Brown, Large
- NEW Design RETRACTABLE ROOF- UPGRADE the roof handle by using MUCH THICKER wood so it will not broken! Your kids will have a long period of sand time without the worry of sudden shower or ultraviolet ray. It keeps local cats out when the cover goes down.
- Easy to Clean and Detachable Canopy- It is easy to wash and secure with the hook and loop fastener affixed to the canopy frame.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION- Dedicated T-shaped hinge ensure durability of the back rest. Hand grips make it easy to fold and unfold the benches. 2 benches for up to 4 children or 2 adults.
- Bottomless design- Facilitates drainage, ventilation and adjustment of the depth of the sand. FREE Sand screen is included is for the easy storage of sand.
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS : 47.2 inch (L) x 47.2 inch (W) x 51.9 inch (H); Bench Weight Capacity : 200 lbs. (each) Easy assembly with pre-drilled holes
Additional Info :
How to choose the best outdoor sand box: Important features to consider
Materials: Polyethylene vs. polypropylene – Low-density polyethylene (stamped on the bottom as LDPE, recycling group number four) is more flexible than stiff, cheap polypropylene (recycling group five), so it won’t crack as easily if you drop a loaded bin on the garage floor. It also won’t become brittle at freezing temperatures the way polypropylene does.
Each material has some advantages. Polypropylene can be made see-through, and it’s much more heat resistant — all the way up to boiling temperatures. LDPE is always tougher, but it gets very soft at temperatures above 110 degrees Fahrenheit and melts in boiling water. Our testers have seen far more polypropylene bins fail in long-term storage, especially in cold climates, but in a baking-hot attic, you’d want to be very careful about how much weight is stacked on an LDPE bin.
Latching lids – A flip-up latch will hold your bin closed even if you over-stuff it, which is handy for things like bulky sweaters and puffy blankets. If you put too much strain on latches, though, they’re prone to pop out of the mounting holes. Those holes also mean an entry point for moisture and insects.
A waterproof seal – If you just need a bin to shed rain, almost any will do: with one exception, the lids we tested to cover the edge of the bin, which means water will roll off without getting inside. A totally sealed lid (like our top pick) will also keep out humidity, though damp items can mildew quickly if you’re not careful about what you put in the bin.
Stackable designs – Nearly any bin can stand on top of another, but some designs are able to neatly mix and match small and large bins while creating a topple-resistant tower.
Single-size lids – If you’re building a collection of storage containers to fully organize your life, it can be handy to have bins with same-size openings. This usually means you can stack and nest different sizes as well as share lids between them. Usually, there will be at least two sizes in a series of containers with a common lid and footprint size, with the difference in volume made up by height.
What to Look for in a Plastic Storage Bin
“Pre-sort items you want to organize into categories for containment,” says Marci McAvoy, professional organizer and founder of Marci McAvoy Home Organization. After pre-sorting, consider the storage bin’s capacity. Measure what you need to store and the space where it will live.
“There’s nothing worse than buying a bunch of bins and getting home and realizing that your space is too narrow for the bin you chose, or maybe you didn’t realize that your shelves couldn’t be adjusted for height,” says McAvoy.
Plastic storage tubs list the capacity in quarts or gallons, and some may also include the weight limit. If you’re shopping online, you can get a sense of what a bin can hold by looking at both product photos and images posted by shoppers, which are often the most helpful.
Material and Design
Rigid plastic materials are less likely to buckle when filled with extremely heavy items. These are sometimes labeled as high-density bins. “A bin like this tends to be more expensive because it is really durable, keeps dust and critters out, and is airtight,” says McAvoy.
If you’re storing bins vertically, look for a stackable style (these usually have recessed lids), since this will help the bins stay stable and maximize your storage space from top to bottom. Note that some storage bins are narrower at the bottom and wider on top, so they can nest when they’re empty. This is a helpful feature, but if you are lining these up on shelves horizontally, you may have wasted space between them.
Lid Closure Type
Storage bin lids can be attached or removable. The attached lids might be on a single set of hinges, or they may split down the middle and interlock. When the lid is integrated into the design, you’re less likely to lose track of it, but McAvoy warns that sometimes these can break, rendering the entire bin unusable.
McAvoy prefers removable lids with side snaps and latches. If you live with small children, you might need to opt for more secure closures. If you love color-coding, consider lids that come in different colors. Others might opt for clear lids so they can easily see the contents.
When is the best time to buy plastic storage bins?
Plastic bins often go on sale in January or February, when retailers try to capitalize on customers’ resolutions to get organized. Containers in colors like red and green maybe even more deeply discounted at this time.
How should you label plastic storage bins?
There are almost as many labeling options as there are plastic containers. If you want flexibility, stick to erasable options such as removable chalkboard or whiteboard labels, and use either chalk paint or dry-erase markers. Label bin clips work well on the handles of open bins, and can also be used with dry-erase markers or Sharpies. Some people opt to simply write directly on clear bins, or buy pre-printed stickers. If you want your label to be permanent, use a marker like a Sharpie or an acrylic paint pen.
How can you hide plastic storage bins in your home?
If you’re looking to hide storage bins in your home, one option is to buy larger, more attractive containers made from materials like wood or rattan, and fit the plastic boxes inside. This works best for items you don’t need frequently. You could also use fabric, washi tape, drawer liner paper, spray paint, and stencils to decorate the exterior of plastic storage bins. If you really don’t want to see them, opt for under-bed storage containers.
Can you recycle plastic storage bins?
Check the number on the container as well as your area’s recycling rules. Many storage containers are made of polypropylene (labeled 5 or PP), and although this can be recycled, not all localities currently do this curbside, but some may accept them at transfer stations. You may be able to recycle polypropylene storage bins through a recycling company like TerraCycle. Try searching “specialty recycling company” and then the name of your town and state. Acrylic can be difficult to recycle, but some specialized facilities may accept it1. Products containing BPA cannot be recycled.2
If you can’t easily recycle your old bins, try posting them on a local swap group such as Buy Nothing or Freecycle, or using them for other home projects, such as building a terrarium or mini greenhouse. If they’re clean and in good condition, you can also donate them.
Last update on Thursday, June 30, 2022 - 6:27:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API