Consumers have been using storage boxes to organize nearly every part of their lives: In homes, on the farm, at warehouses, and even for travel. Over the years, many users have bought numerous brands and styles of storage containers for different applications. Some have served faithfully for decades in storage sheds, while some were only good for a year before cracking.
The best planter box garden layout can lead to smarter living in your home. With a functional aesthetic, storage bins can declutter and organize. To find the ideal planter box garden layout available, we conducted hours of research and evaluated product models on durability, size, type of plastic, closures, and price.
Top 10 Bestplanter box garden layout : Editor’s Choice
List of 10 Best planter box garden layout: Selected and Tested by Experts
1. Yaheetech 2 Tiers Wooden Raised Garden Bed Flower Planter Boxes Elevated Vegetables Growing Bed with Storage Shelf & Wheels, Grow Herbs and Vegetables 42x23x33in
- NATURAL FIR WOOD: This raised garden bed is made of solid fir wood, known for its strength and stability as well as natural resistance. The selected quality material helps this garden bed won’t crack easily. The accompanied non-woven fabric cloth can be placed on the bottom for protection.
- SOLID STRUCTURE: This wooden planting box features elevated and rectangular shape. The wood plates tightly insert into grooves and the four corners are locked by the wooden top covers, supporting each other to form a strong structure.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Featuring a raised height of 83.5cm/33in, this wooden garden box lets you enjoy gardening without strain of lumbar muscles or long-time tiring squat. Have a comfortable gardening time with this ergonomic planting box.
- AMPLE SPACE: This raised planter bed has 2 tiers for planting and storing. The lower shelf can be used for holding planting tools, small bonsai, or potted plants. The 2-tier planter box makes full use of space for plants.
- RAISED PLANTING BED ON WHEELS: Our raised planting bed has four casters and two of which have brakes for easy stop and lock. Someday you want to reset or change the home layout, you may find this moveable&rolling plating bed is so practical and convenient.
Additional Info :
2. Raised-Bed Gardening for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Start and Sustain a Thriving Garden
Additional Info :
3. Best Choice Products 96x24x10in Outdoor Wooden Raised Garden Bed Planter for Vegetables, Grass, Lawn, Yard – Natural
- BUILT TO LAST: Made of natural Chinese Fir wood to provide a gardening solution constructed to last through every season without discoloring or breaking down over the years
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Pre-sanded panels built with dovetail joints slide together and lock in place with screw-fastened posts for a quick, sturdy assembly
- MAXIMIZE SPACE: 8-foot garden bed provides ample space for plants to grow with an included liner to separate the wood from the soil and keep it in excellent condition
- GARDEN ORGANIZER: Separate and sort various types of plants, vegetables, fruits, and flowers with the included middle divider
- OUTDOOR ACCENT: Perfect decoration accessory that will complement any front or backyard, grass area, or budding garden; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 96″(L) x 24″(W) x 10″(H)
Additional Info :
4. Planning a Square-Foot Garden: Grow More in Less Space (Gardening Homestead Book 2)
Additional Info :
5. AVAWING Raised Garden Bed on Wheels, Outdoor Elevated Wood Planter Box w/ Storage Shelf for Vegetables, Herb and Flowers 47x23x33in
- 【4 Detachable Wheels】 Raised Garden Bed has four wheels, two of which have brakes to lock the flowerpot box anywhere you like. A screwdriver can easily remove wheels. One day you want to reset or change the layout, you may find this movable Garden Planter so practical and convenient.
- 【Two-layer Shelf】 Outdoor Wooden planter boxes with two layers, one layer is used for planting and storage. You may grow vegetables, flowers, herbs, and other plants in courtyards, yards, gardens, and greenhouses. Everyone can use the lower shelf for storage and display. You may also place some planting tools and other accessories.
- 【Ergonomic Design】 The height of this planter-raised bed is 33 inches so that you can enjoy gardening without feeling lumbar muscle strain or long-term fatigue squatting. Enjoy a comfortable gardening time with this ergonomic planting box.
- 【Beautiful and Practical】 A gardening raised bed made of solid wood. The thickness of the fully enclosed frame is more robust than other frames, and the natural wood grain on the board brings a rustic and natural style to your garden. It can last the entire season with proper care.
- 【Large Planting Space】 Overall size: 47.4 “x 23.2” x 31.8 “. These raised garden boxes have a large planting space and can hold 66 pounds of soil. You can grow some plants and vegetables you need. Share the joy with your family during the harvest season.
Additional Info :
6. ANGTUO Hanging Wall Planters for Indoor Plants 6 Pockets New Upgraded Vertical Planter Plant Hanger for Hanging Garden Home Decoration
- GOOD MATERIAL — ANGTUO hanging wall planters are made of the latest eco-friendly felt materials, which are breathable, durable and corrosion resistant. For your plants (such as flowers, herbs, strawberries, vegetables, hanging green plants etc.) to create a good growing environment.
- REASONABLE LAYOUT — Vertical planters are reduced from 7 to 7. Same length, bigger pocket. Fill more soil so that hanging plants can grow better. Plus, it’s a great living plant wall decor.
- EASY TO INSTALL AND MOVE — The hanging pot is easy to install using zip ties or hooks. Hang in fences, balcony garden, supermarket wall, garden nursery and so on. Wait for seeds to germinate and bloom, you ’ll be successful in creating a colorful “living wall painting “
- UNIQUE GIFT — When you don’t know what to give as a gift, the plant hanger will be a very practical and ideal gift, perfect for decorating your gardens, walls, enclosures, apartments, balconies, courtyards and interiors with herbs plants and flowers.
- REUSABLE WALL PLANTER — Depending on the season, you can easily move plants out or into grow bags to keep your hanging herb garden always green and vibrant, while saving growing space and money.
Additional Info :
7. Yaheetech 47x41x30in Wooden 2 Tiers Elevated Raised Garden Bed Planter Grow Box for Herb with Legs & Drainage Holes
- NATURAL MATERIAL: Our twin-bed boxes are made of natural fir wood without harmful painting. The burlywood and simple look bring much beauty of nature to your lovely house.
- 2 TIER STRUCTURE: If you want to grow both flowers and vegetables in a particular position, you may need this 2-tier planting bunk bed. A high wooden box plus a lower box measure the same inside dimension of 113x48x17.7cm/44.5x19x7in (LxWxD).
- HIGH LOW DESIGN: This wooden box set has a high-low layout so that you can DIY your plants as you like. This garden bed not only achieves ample planting space but also provides the beauty of layering, meeting gardeners’ various needs.
- VERSATILE GARDENING ADDITION: This gardening twin bed is suitable for many places as you wish, the garden, backyard, patio, porch, balcony, hallway, cafe, etc. No matter for indoors or outdoors, this gardening addition is worthy.
- STABLE AND STURDY: This elevated planting box is strong and sturdy enough for various planting. The rectangle shape with legs supported and battens below, each planting box is capable of 100kg/220lb.
Additional Info :
8. Garden Design Templates Workbook: 8″ x 10″ A Simple Amateur Home Landscaper Layout Design Planner Book for Planters, Flower Beds, Tree Surrounds, … Records for Seeds & Transplanting (166 Pages)
Additional Info :
9. The First-Time Gardener: Raised Bed Gardening: All the know-how you need to build and grow a raised bed garden (The First-Time Gardener’s Guides)
Additional Info :
10. Incbruce 4ft Wooden Raised Garden Bed Planter, No-Bolt Assembly Elevated Flower Bed Boxes Kit for Vegetable Flower Herb Gardening, Natural
- 【Selected Material】Our raised garden bed is made of no paint, non-toxic spruce wood, and left untreated, which means it is organic and safe to grow vegetables, herbs, and fruits in.
- 【Stable and Durable Frame】The whole construction is made of long-lasting solid fir spruce wood which is stable and durable enough to strongly support the weight from the garden bed itself and plant. Wood material will keep durable, warped, or splinter and fade. This will save costs for you.
- 【Excellent Garden Ornament】You can use this garden bed to change the style and layout of your garden, using new plants to create a better poetic effect. You can even use the garden bed to change the layout of the entire garden.
- 【Spacious Deep Bed and Perfect Height】The leg base height from floor to box top is about 30″, suitable for gardening without bending over. The top bed with 48.5″ x 24.5″ x 10″ (L x W x H), which is deep enough for you to put nutritious earth for plant healthy growth.
- 【Easy Assembly】This garden bed planter requires no screws and no tools, you can make this in the simplest way, combined with natural spruce wood colors and traditional wood inlay techniques, this makes for a unique elevated planter box.
Additional Info :
How to choose the best planter box garden layout: Important features to consider
Materials: Polyethylene vs. polypropylene – Low-density polyethylene (stamped on the bottom as LDPE, recycling group number four) is more flexible than stiff, cheap polypropylene (recycling group five), so it won’t crack as easily if you drop a loaded bin on the garage floor. It also won’t become brittle at freezing temperatures the way polypropylene does.
Each material has some advantages. Polypropylene can be made see-through, and it’s much more heat resistant — all the way up to boiling temperatures. LDPE is always tougher, but it gets very soft at temperatures above 110 degrees Fahrenheit and melts in boiling water. Our testers have seen far more polypropylene bins fail in long-term storage, especially in cold climates, but in a baking-hot attic, you’d want to be very careful about how much weight is stacked on an LDPE bin.
Latching lids – A flip-up latch will hold your bin closed even if you over-stuff it, which is handy for things like bulky sweaters and puffy blankets. If you put too much strain on latches, though, they’re prone to pop out of the mounting holes. Those holes also mean an entry point for moisture and insects.
A waterproof seal – If you just need a bin to shed rain, almost any will do: with one exception, the lids we tested to cover the edge of the bin, which means water will roll off without getting inside. A totally sealed lid (like our top pick) will also keep out humidity, though damp items can mildew quickly if you’re not careful about what you put in the bin.
Stackable designs – Nearly any bin can stand on top of another, but some designs are able to neatly mix and match small and large bins while creating a topple-resistant tower.
Single-size lids – If you’re building a collection of storage containers to fully organize your life, it can be handy to have bins with same-size openings. This usually means you can stack and nest different sizes as well as share lids between them. Usually, there will be at least two sizes in a series of containers with a common lid and footprint size, with the difference in volume made up by height.
What to Look for in a Plastic Storage Bin
“Pre-sort items you want to organize into categories for containment,” says Marci McAvoy, professional organizer and founder of Marci McAvoy Home Organization. After pre-sorting, consider the storage bin’s capacity. Measure what you need to store and the space where it will live.
“There’s nothing worse than buying a bunch of bins and getting home and realizing that your space is too narrow for the bin you chose, or maybe you didn’t realize that your shelves couldn’t be adjusted for height,” says McAvoy.
Plastic storage tubs list the capacity in quarts or gallons, and some may also include the weight limit. If you’re shopping online, you can get a sense of what a bin can hold by looking at both product photos and images posted by shoppers, which are often the most helpful.
Material and Design
Rigid plastic materials are less likely to buckle when filled with extremely heavy items. These are sometimes labeled as high-density bins. “A bin like this tends to be more expensive because it is really durable, keeps dust and critters out, and is airtight,” says McAvoy.
If you’re storing bins vertically, look for a stackable style (these usually have recessed lids), since this will help the bins stay stable and maximize your storage space from top to bottom. Note that some storage bins are narrower at the bottom and wider on top, so they can nest when they’re empty. This is a helpful feature, but if you are lining these up on shelves horizontally, you may have wasted space between them.
Lid Closure Type
Storage bin lids can be attached or removable. The attached lids might be on a single set of hinges, or they may split down the middle and interlock. When the lid is integrated into the design, you’re less likely to lose track of it, but McAvoy warns that sometimes these can break, rendering the entire bin unusable.
McAvoy prefers removable lids with side snaps and latches. If you live with small children, you might need to opt for more secure closures. If you love color-coding, consider lids that come in different colors. Others might opt for clear lids so they can easily see the contents.
When is the best time to buy plastic storage bins?
Plastic bins often go on sale in January or February, when retailers try to capitalize on customers’ resolutions to get organized. Containers in colors like red and green maybe even more deeply discounted at this time.
How should you label plastic storage bins?
There are almost as many labeling options as there are plastic containers. If you want flexibility, stick to erasable options such as removable chalkboard or whiteboard labels, and use either chalk paint or dry-erase markers. Label bin clips work well on the handles of open bins, and can also be used with dry-erase markers or Sharpies. Some people opt to simply write directly on clear bins, or buy pre-printed stickers. If you want your label to be permanent, use a marker like a Sharpie or an acrylic paint pen.
How can you hide plastic storage bins in your home?
If you’re looking to hide storage bins in your home, one option is to buy larger, more attractive containers made from materials like wood or rattan, and fit the plastic boxes inside. This works best for items you don’t need frequently. You could also use fabric, washi tape, drawer liner paper, spray paint, and stencils to decorate the exterior of plastic storage bins. If you really don’t want to see them, opt for under-bed storage containers.
Can you recycle plastic storage bins?
Check the number on the container as well as your area’s recycling rules. Many storage containers are made of polypropylene (labeled 5 or PP), and although this can be recycled, not all localities currently do this curbside, but some may accept them at transfer stations. You may be able to recycle polypropylene storage bins through a recycling company like TerraCycle. Try searching “specialty recycling company” and then the name of your town and state. Acrylic can be difficult to recycle, but some specialized facilities may accept it1. Products containing BPA cannot be recycled.2
If you can’t easily recycle your old bins, try posting them on a local swap group such as Buy Nothing or Freecycle, or using them for other home projects, such as building a terrarium or mini greenhouse. If they’re clean and in good condition, you can also donate them.
Last update on Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 23:17:16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API